BRAINSTORMING: Biggest Obstacles You Face When Trying to Negotiate?
Need to discuss with someone else
Loss of face to face interaction
Getting to the right person
Understanding what the mission is
Not giving it time or being flexible enough
SPEAKER: David LeMond, Edward Jones
Topic: Some examples of Tactical Empathy based on the book “Never Split The Difference: Negotiating
As If Your Life Depended On It “by Chris Voss.
1) Labels: seems like, sounds like, appears that
2) Mirrors: repeating the last 1-3 words your counterpart has just said
3) No oriented questions: Yes is commitment. No is protection. “Would it be crazy for us to get together?”
4) One-Sentence Email: “Have you given up on this project?”
5) Proof of Life: “you’ve been very successful to this point using your current vendor. Why would you
switch to me?”
6) Accusations Audit: summarizing all of the points, especially the negative points, that the other side may
be feeling about the situation.
7) Tone of Voice: and upward inflection at the end of a statement tends to soften it and is less
David LeMond, Edward Jones: 440-354-4157 / email@example.com